[MARMAM] Request for whale call recordings

Peter Dobbins Peter.Dobbins at sea.co.uk
Thu Jun 7 03:29:48 PDT 2007

Dear all

I am planning an experiment at sea involving transmitting signals based
on marine mammal calls to evaluate their usefulness, or otherwise, as
active sonar or communications signals. In preparation I need to obtain
a wide range of example calls. I am looking for both tonal calls from
any whale species and echolocation clicks from sperm whales and orcas.
For the present experiment I am not interested in mammals smaller than
the orca. My requirements are simply:

1   The signal to noise ratio should be high enough to reliably separate
the signal from the background.

2   I need to know the species and an indication of the circumstances
when the recording was made.

3   I need to know if the recording was made on-axis with respect to the
animal (especially for echolocation clicks).

I can accept recording in almost any known format.

If you think you can help, please contact me at peter.dobbins at sea.co.uk

Thank you.

Peter Dobbins PhD CEng FIOA
Senior Consultant - Marine Division
Systems Engineering and Assessment Ltd
SEA House, Bristol Business Park, Coldharbour Lane
Bristol BS16 1EJ
Tel:  +44 (0) 1373 852149
Mobile: +44 (0) 7949 836503
Fax:  +44 (0) 117 937 5088
peter.dobbins at sea.co.uk
www.sea.co.uk

Systems Engineering & Assessment Ltd - Beckington Castle, 17 Castle Corner, Somerset, BA11 6TA, UK
is registered in England and Wales with the company number 2430846.

The contents of this email (including any attachments) are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of its contents is strictly prohibited, and you should please notify the sender immediately and then delete it (including any attachments) from your system.

This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email Security System.