[MARMAM] Effectiveness of ESA 1973

Mark Seabrook M.N.Seabrook-Davidson at massey.ac.nz
Tue Jun 5 17:21:49 PDT 2007

Hi,

My Name is Mark Seabrook-Davison and I am looking at the effectiveness of the USA Endangered Species Act (ESA) 1973 as a legal framework for the recovery of threatened species. I am comparing the legislative structure for threatened species that exists in New Zealand with that which exists in Australia (Environment Protection and Biodiversity Act 1999) and USA (Endangered Species Act (ESA) 1973).

I am interested in any comments that you may as to the effectiveness of the ESA in the recovery of marine mammals (or terrestrial species).

In New Zealand, the recovery of threatened species is a discretionary function, guided by the Wildlife Act 1953. A significant difference between New Zealand and the USA is that under the ESA, the recovery of a USA listed species is funded by a recovery plan at the Federal Government level.

I am especially interested in the positive and negative experiences people may have had with the implementation and sucess of USA or Australian recovery plans under the ESA or EPBA.

Thank you very much for your comments.

Kind regards,
Mark.

Mark Seabrook-Davison