[MARMAM] new course in bioacoustics

Jennifer Miksis-Olds jlm91 at psu.edu
Mon Jul 30 11:07:25 PDT 2007

We are pleased to announce a new graduate-level course in Marine
Bioacoustics offered in the Penn State Graduate Program in Acoustics,
Distance Education Program. The course is accessible via streaming video
over the Internet ( http://www.acs.psu.edu/DistanceEd/distanceed.htm):

Instructors: Dr. S. E. Parks & Dr. J. Miksis-Olds

This course is an introduction to the role of acoustics can play in studying
biology related topics in the marine environment. Topics include
introduction to underwater sound propagation, introduction to major groups
of marine organisms and their adaptations to the marine environment, marine
noise and its effect on marine life, marine organism sound production,
underwater hearing, use of active sound for remote sensing of marine
organisms, use of passive listening for remote sensing of sound producing
marine organisms.  Integrated activities and problem-based assignments will
provide an interactive learning experience.

Recommended texts:

1) Simmonds, J. and MacLennan, D. (2005). Fisheries Acoustics: Theory and
Practice, 2nd ed. (Blackwell Science/Oxford).

2) Richardson, W. J., Greene, C. R., Malme, C. I. and Thomson, D. H. (1995).
Marine Mammals and Noise (Academic Press, San Diego, CA).

For registration information, contact Kris Popovich (cxp23 at psu.edu).

Contact:  Susan Parks (sep20 at psu.edu) or Jennifer Miksis-Olds
(jlm91 at psu.edu) with questions about the course content.

Jennifer L. Miksis-Olds, Ph.D.