[MARMAM] The Effects of Close Approach of large whales

Kellie Foster Kellie.Foster at noaa.gov
Wed Jul 25 14:45:43 PDT 2007

I am working on a project where I have to assess the effects of close
approaches of fin, humpback, sei, humpback, north Atlantic right and
sperm whales for the purpose of biopsy sampling, suction cup tagging and
photo identification.   Whales of all ages (2 weeks and older) and
reproductive stages including mother/calf pairs would be approached no
closer than 100 meters by a large research vessel at which time a small
inflatable would be deployed to approach the whales to a distance of 10
meters.  Can anyone guide me to any empirical data for any responses
(behavioral or otherwise) to close approach, particularly for
mother/calf pairs?
Thanks.