[MARMAM] Recycling equipment

William Rossiter rossiter at csiwhalesalive.org
Tue Jan 30 12:34:48 PST 2007

What do you do with your old but faithful research equipment, either
when the work is done or you get something newer? Gone digital, upgraded
your GPS, radio, data recorder, or laptop?

This post is to request that you consider the potential for that
equipment to end up in the hands of a scientist who needs but cannot
afford such equipment, perhaps a research project in a developing
country. The very broad range of equipment to be considered would
include almost anything that works faithfully and can be shipped at
reasonable expense.

Recently Cetacean Society International sent a 2002 GPS unit to
Columbia's Fundacion Omacha, to help researchers study Amazon River
dolphins. A Nikon FM2 with appropriate lenses may be enroute to Trinidad
shortly, to assist a dolphin population study, if we can talk an
unrealistic young woman out of an extremely expensive digital outfit she
saw recommended on MARMAM by someone who must have a fat contract.

In some cases the equipment's fair market value may become a tax
deduction from CSI for the US donor, if ownership and value can be
established.

If you are interested please contact CSI with a realistic and detailed
description of your stuff, but send nothing. There are many caveats with
this concept, and we don't have any more room in our closets either.
Ideally, CSI will try to validate the request, attempt to link the
request with a donor, establish that the stuff will work at the
destination, and perhaps facilitate the shipping.

Again, send nothing but an email to start the process.

Thank you,
Bill

William W. Rossiter
President