[MARMAM] Dolphin Photo-ID Catalogue Officer & Sightings Officer required

CBMWC info at cbmwc.org
Thu Jan 25 08:35:09 PST 2007

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre

Email – Volunteer at cbmwc.org

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre

www.cbmwc.org <http://www.cbmwc.org/>

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED

Bottlenose Dolphin Photo-ID Catalogue Officer

Marine Wildlife Sightings Officer

We need enthusiastic volunteers to assist with our ongoing research and
education programmes concerning the marine wildlife of Cardigan Bay. We
primarily study the bottlenose dolphins through photo-identification, and
also monitor harbour porpoise and Atlantic grey seal populations.

Our organisation relies on the generous help of volunteers to undertake its
work and greatly appreciates your time. We welcome people with all sorts of
skills to offer, and enthusiasm is as valued as experience, since training
can be provided. This is a fantastic opportunity for you to make a positive
contribution to marine wildlife conservation and to gain knowledge and
experience of the species and habitats in Cardigan Bay. It is a great chance
to gain experience of field work, research methods and public awareness and
education programmes.

We also welcome undergraduate and postgraduate students who need boat time
and office space to conduct their research projects. Please contact us to
discuss whether your project ideas might be feasible.

About the Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre (Est.1996):

The Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre is a non-profit organisation
dedicated to promoting public awareness of the marine species, habitats and
conservation of the marine wildlife in Cardigan Bay through research and
education. The group is affiliated to the Wildlife Trust of South and West
Wales and supported by Environment Wales. The centre is in the heart of New
Quay overlooking the beautiful beach and harbour. It is used as a base for
our research and also includes our Visitor Centre. The primary purpose of
our ongoing research is to study the local marine mammal populations through
non-invasive and non-disruptive methods.

Bottlenose Dolphin Photo-ID Catalogue Officer

*	Overseeing the cataloguing of the bottlenose dolphin photo-ID
images, matching to previous years’ images and producing the final 2007
catalogue and report.
*	Ensuring systems for reliability of photo–ID are implemented.
*	Conducting talks on the photo-ID work to interested parties.

Marine Wildlife Sightings Officer

*	Ensuring that the land and boat based sighting are updated on our
website and in our visitor centre on a daily basis.
*	Providing press releases and articles regarding sightings, for
example for the BBC Wales website.
*	Ensuring that all sightings data collected during surveys are input
onto the computer.
*	Ensuring that the Welsh sightings database is kept up to date with
data from our surveys and that data submitted by other organisations is
input promptly and correctly.

All volunteers

Boat Based Work

*	Assisting with boat based photo identification surveys of bottlenose
dolphins.
*	Assisting with collection of data on marine mammals & other wildlife
in Cardigan Bay
*	Educating passengers about the wildlife in Cardigan Bay.

Land-based work

*	Assisting with the day-to-day operation of the Visitor Centre,
including staffing the front desk, taking boat bookings and answering
enquiries.
*	Advising visitors to the centre about local marine wildlife and our
research work.
*	Assisting development of our education programme and
interpretational materials.
*	Conducting land based mammal surveys from New Quay.
*	Assisting with photo-ID, analysis & cataloguing of bottlenose
dolphin data.
*	Recording sightings information, update sightings boards and our
central database.
*	Updating website pages with sightings, articles and other info.
*	Training new volunteers in collection of data and survey work.

Desired skills

An interest in marine wildlife and conservation is most important, along
with enthusiasm and willingness to work in a conscientious and responsible
manner. Fluency in English, good verbal and written communication skills and
IT skills are important. We welcome people with experience working with
children, the public or in environmental interpretation or education,
however this is not essential. Indeed this is a great opportunity to gain
skills in these areas.

Time commitment

The Photo-ID Officer role requires a commitment of at least four months,
including July to October 2007. Applicants for the Marine Wildlife Sightings
Officer need to be available for a minimum of three months between June and
October. Volunteers living locally who are available on a part time basis
are also welcome to apply. Volunteers who are available for shorter periods
are also needed; please see our advert for ‘Research and Education
Volunteers’.

Accommodation and expense arrangements

Accommodation can be arranged for committed volunteers (approx £45 per
week). Volunteers are responsible for their own food, travel and
accommodation costs.

Further information

Please see our website www.cbmwc.org <http://www.cbmwc.org/>  or call Steve
or Sarah on 01545 560032 or 07796 135490.

How to apply

Please contact us by post, or email volunteer at cbmwc.org, enclosing a copy of
your CV detailing your background and relevant experience together with a
covering letter indicating when and how long you are available to volunteer.
Send to:

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre

Patent Slip Building, Glanmor Terrace

New Quay, Ceredigion