[MARMAM] CORE Internship opportunity - address correction

core at coreresearch.org core at coreresearch.org
Mon Feb 26 12:22:01 PST 2007

We've reccently moved our office to Gloucester!

Please mail applications to:

Center for Oceanic Research and Education
6 Julian Way
Gloucester, MA 01930

Center for Oceanic Research and Education Internship Opportunities

The Center for Oceanic Research and Education (CORE), based in Gloucester,
MA, is a non-profit organization dedicated to the study and conservation of
cetaceans. CORE's mission is to promote stewardship and conservation of
cetaceans and their marine environment. Our research focuses primarily upon
the populations of fin and humpback whales found in the inshore waters of
New England. We are currently working on several projects including:
•	hierarchy among social/feeding groups of humpback whales.
•	novel feeding behavior (the use of bubbles) in fin whales.
•	shifts in distribution of whale species over time
•	on-going research includes photo-identification studies of humpback
whales, fin whales, sperm whales, Northern right whales, minke whales and
pilot whales.
CORE conducts whale watch education programs, school presentations and
public outreach activities throughout the year as part of our endeavor to
educate people about endangered whales and their fragile marine
environment. We collect all of our data aboard commercial whale watching
vessels that operate out of Gloucester, MA. Interns are aboard each trip as
research assistants, and are primarily responsible for data collection. The
types of data recorded on each trip include physical information ¬ such as
climate and sea conditions, number and species of each cetacean, as well as
behavioral information and identification photographs of focus animals.
Other major duties aboard the boats include answering passenger questions,
assisting with fund raising efforts and helping crew on deck. A paid
"education mate" position aboard the whale watching boat in Gloucester is
included - interns will rotate day-to-day through the week as research
assistants and education mates. There are also paid galley positions
available to interns which provide another daily avenue for raising
personal funds.

Founded in 1996, CORE earned our non-profit status in 1999. Though we have
no publications currently in print, we are currently analyzing data on
several on-going research projects with the goal of developing papers on
such varied subjects as novel feeding behavior in fin whales, to
observations of Sowerby’s and Cuvier’s beaked whales in offshore submarine
canyons. Interns can expect to participate in and learn a variety of facets
of research including:
•	Data collection; data entry; archiving and cataloging photographs and
negatives; general office work.
•	Data analysis methods; individual identification of whales through photo
analysis.
•	Public speaking; fund raising; correspondence with other organizations,
researchers and students.
•	Interns are also assigned a specific on-going research project and will
be expected to complete an extensive reading list to gain important
background knowledge.
•	Basics of navigation; boat handling; use of marine electronics including
GPS, LORAN, radar and echolocation; handling lines; and knowledge of vessel
safety and emergency protocol.
CORE offers seasonal internship opportunities from May-Oct to qualified
college students or graduates. We require a two-month minimum stay. These
are strictly unpaid, volunteer positions. However, interns will be paid for
their duties as Education Mates, as well as galley positions, aboard the
commercial whale watching vessels out of Gloucester. Also, as of this year
we have acquired intern housing accommodations for $200/month per intern.
Interns share a small 2 bedroom unit, which is part of the CORE office,
located just 500 yards from the dock. This new living arrangement makes the
office and boat both extremely accessible, eliminating the requirement for
transportation.  We also offer flexible hours so that interns can obtain
part-time jobs if needed.
Interns are also encouraged to receive either undergraduate or graduate
credits for their internships with CORE. We will help students design and
implement a project through their school or with two local schools with
whom we are affiliated (Endicott College, Beverly, MA and Wheelock College,
Boston, MA).

Application deadline for the summer internship session is March 24th, with
interviews being conducted during the first week of April. The deadline for
the fall internship session is July 24th, with interviews during the first
week of August. We also accept limited applicants for spring. To apply for
an internship, please complete an application and send your resume or CV, a
letter of interest identifying your reason for applying, and two letters of
recommendation to the below address.
The Center for Oceanic Research and Education internship applications can
be found on our website at: www.coreresearch.org/intern form.htm. You may
then use your browser's print function to print it out. We will contact
applicants to schedule an interview as soon as we receive the above
materials. If you have any questions, please contact us via email at
core at coreresearch.org.

Sarah Podleski, Assistant Director

http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE