[MARMAM] New paper on dolphin social intelligence

Richard Connor rconnor at umassd.edu
Wed Feb 28 06:47:38 PST 2007

Dear MARMAMers,

The following publication is now available on our website
(monkeymiadolphins.org).
In addition to reviewing the male alliances in Shark Bay, the paper
explores possible reasons for the apparent convergence in the use of
synchrony in    alliances in humans and dolphins and it also contains a
discussion of extreme brain size evolution in mammals (humans, elephants,
dolphins).

Also, for those interested in the social intelligence hypothesis, I would
encourage you to visit the Royal Society Webpage to have a look at other
papers in the same volume, which are derived from a meeting last year
celebrating the 30th anniversary of Nick Humphrey's landmark publication on
the topic.

2007. Connor R.C. Dolphin social intelligence: complex alliance
relationships in bottlenose dolphins and a consideration of selective
environments for extreme brain size evolution in mammals. Philosophical
Transactions of the Royal Society B. FirstCite Early Online Publishing.
DOI: 10.1098/rstb.2006.1997

Richard Connor