[MARMAM] internship opportunity - Center for Oceanic Research and Education

Deanna Leonard deanna_leonard at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 23 08:05:55 PST 2007

Please post the following intership description.

  Center for Oceanic Research and Education Internship Opportunities

The Center for Oceanic Research and Education (CORE), based in Essex, MA, is a non-profit organization dedicated to the study and conservation of cetaceans. CORE's mission is to promote stewardship and conservation of cetaceans and their marine environment. Our research focuses primarily upon the populations of fin and humpback whales found in the inshore waters of New England. We are currently working on several projects including:

   hierarchy among social/feeding groups of humpback whales.
   novel feeding behavior (the use of bubbles) in fin whales.
   shifts in distribution of whale species over time
   on-going research includes photo-identification studies of humpback whales, fin whales, sperm whales, Northern right whales, minke whales and pilot whales.
  CORE conducts whale watch education programs, school presentations and public outreach activities throughout the year as part of our endeavor to educate people about endangered whales and their fragile marine environment. We collect all of our data aboard commercial whale watching vessels that operate out of Gloucester, MA. Interns are aboard each trip as research assistants, and are primarily responsible for data collection. The types of data recorded on each trip include physical information ­ such as climate and sea conditions, number and species of each cetacean, as well as behavioral information and identification photographs of focus animals. Other major duties aboard the boats include answering passenger questions, assisting with fund raising efforts and helping crew on deck. A paid "education mate" position aboard the whale watching boat in Gloucester is included - interns will rotate day-to-day through the week as research assistants and education mates.
 There are also paid galley positions available to interns which provide another daily avenue for raising personal funds.

Founded in 1996, CORE earned our non-profit status in 1999. Though we have no publications currently in print, we are currently analyzing data on several on-going research projects with the goal of developing papers on such varied subjects as novel feeding behavior in fin whales, to observations of Sowerby’s and Cuvier’s beaked whales in offshore submarine canyons. Interns can expect to participate in and learn a variety of facets of research including:
  ·        Data collection; data entry; archiving and cataloging photographs and negatives; general office work.
  ·        Data analysis methods; individual identification of whales through photo analysis.
  ·        Public speaking; fund raising; correspondence with other organizations, researchers and students.
  ·        Interns are also assigned a specific on-going research project and will be expected to complete an extensive reading list to gain important background knowledge.
  ·        Basics of navigation; boat handling; use of marine electronics including GPS, LORAN, radar and echolocation; handling lines; and knowledge of vessel safety and emergency protocol.
  CORE offers seasonal internship opportunities from May-Oct to qualified college students or graduates. We require a two-month minimum stay. These are strictly unpaid, volunteer positions. However, interns will be paid for their duties as Education Mates, as well as galley positions, aboard the commercial whale watching vessels out of Gloucester. Also, as of this year we have acquired intern housing accommodations for $200/month per intern. Interns share a small 2 bedroom unit, which is part of the CORE office, located just 500 yards from the dock. This new living arrangement makes the office and boat both extremely accessible, eliminating the requirement for transportation.  We also offer flexible hours so that interns can obtain part-time jobs if needed.
  Interns are also encouraged to receive either undergraduate or graduate credits for their internships with CORE. We will help students design and implement a project through their school or with two local schools with whom we are affiliated (Endicott College, Beverly, MA and Wheelock College, Boston, MA).

Application deadline for the summer internship session is March 24th, with interviews being conducted during the first week of April. The deadline for the fall internship session is July 24th, with interviews during the first week of August. We also accept limited applicants for spring. To apply for an internship, please complete an application and send your resume or CV, a letter of interest identifying your reason for applying, and two letters of recommendation to the below address.
  The Center for Oceanic Research and Education internship applications can be found on our website at: www.coreresearch.org/intern form.htm. You may then use your browser's print function to print it out. We will contact applicants to schedule an interview as soon as we receive the above materials. If you have any questions, please contact us via email at core at coreresearch.org.
  Sarah Podleski, Assistant Director
Center for Oceanic Research and Education
2 Julian Way, Gloucester, MA 01930