[MARMAM] Cetacean research in Scotland – volunteers needed

Fiona Quarmby HWDT volunteercoordinator at hwdt.org
Mon Feb 12 09:41:32 PST 2007

The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust carries out visual and acoustic cetacean
surveys every summer from our research vessel, Silurian.

Our research investigates cetacean distribution, relative abundance and
habitat preferences using observers, acoustic monitoring and photo
identification.

Volunteers are involved in all aspects of the research, and will receive full
training in survey techniques. As our survey vessel is a sailing boat, there
is also the opportunity to learn sailing skills.

No specific experience is required to work as a volunteer onboard. However you
should have basic computing skills and be proficient in the English language.

Prices and dates for 2007 surveys are as follows:

•	April  5th – 13th (8 nights on board)Spring Price - only £400
•	July  11th – 19th (8 nights on board) £695
•	July  20th – 31st (11 nights on board) £795
•	August  1st – 12th (11 nights on board) £795
•	September 4th – 12th (8 nights on board) £695
•	September  23rd – October 4th (11 nights on board) £795

Prices cover all expenses during the project incl. all food, 11 (or 8) nights
accommodation on board our fully equipped 60ft sailing vessel, and all
scientific and yachting training.

Further information and how to apply can be found on our website, by phoning
HWDT on +44 1688 302620 or by e-mailing me at
<mailto:volunteercoordinator at hwdt.org>

Fiona Quarmby

Volunteer Co-ordinator
Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust