[MARMAM] Subject: Marine Mammal Photos for Academic Press/Elsevier Guide

Sclymene at aol.com Sclymene at aol.com
Sun Feb 4 16:18:45 PST 2007

Subject: Marine Mammal Photos for Academic Press/Elsevier Guide
Dear Colleagues,
   Marc Webber, Bob Pitman, and I are preparing a comprehensive marine mammal
identification guide, which will include detailed species accounts, multiple
illustrations, illustrated keys, and a large collection of full-color photos.
 We are aiming to produce the most comprehensive and authoritative
identification guide to marine mammals ever published.   It will be published in late
2007 by Academic Press/Elsevier.
   We are now making our final photo selections and are trying to tie-up a
few loose ends.   We are still missing good photos of the following:   Baikal
seal, Caspian seal, ringed seal, harp seal, hooded seal, bearded seal, ribbon
seal, largha seal, Mediterranean monk seal, Galapagos fur seal, Juan Fernandez
fur seal, Guadalupe fur seal, and New Zealand sea lion.
   Unfortunately, we cannot pay photographers for use of photos.   There is
no budget for this.   However, if we use your photos, we may be able to offer
you a free copy of the book (which we expect to cost about US$50).   This would
be for one-time use, and there would be no restrictions on further use by the
photographer.
   We would need good quality slides or digital images (the highest possible
resolution).   Digital images should be sent to Marc Webber (who is
coordinating photos for that group):
  marcwebber at sbcglobal.net
   I appreciate your help with this request.
Best wishes,
Tom
Thomas A. Jefferson, Ph.D.
Marine Mammal Biologist