[MARMAM] Melon head whales stranding in Cape Verde&In-Reply-To=

Alex Costidis CostidisA at vetmed.ufl.edu
Thu Dec 13 07:03:04 PST 2007

Hello Dr. Mascarenhas,

I wanted to pass along some more references on the topic of sonar-related strandings and cetaceans.  Below are a few useful papers that cover topics like lesions/pathology, etc.

Our manuscript (the first one on the list) covers the latest basics, theories, etc. and I believe is a good overview of the issue.  The rest of the papers cover various topics, mostly involving observed lesions.  This should get you started on the topic and help you decide which references to pursue.  I hope this helps.  I can send you pdf copies of most of these.

Rommel, S. A. et al. 2006.  Elements of Beaked Whale Anatomy and Diving Physiology and Some Hypothetical Causes of Sonar-related Stranding.  J. Cetacean Res. Manage. 7(3):189-209.

Cox, T.M. et al. 2006.  Understanding the Impacts of Anthropogenic Sound on Beaked Whales.  J. Cetacean Res. Manage. 7(3):177-187.

Fernandez, A. et al. 2005.  Gas and fat embolic syndrome involving a mass stranding of beaked whales (family Ziphiidae) exposed to anthropogenic sonar signals.  Vet. Pathol. 42:446-57.

Jepson, P.D. et al. 2003.  Gas-bubble lesions in stranded animals.  Was sonar responsible for a spate of whale deaths after an Atlantic miliary exercise?  Nature 425 (6958):575-76.

Jepson, P.D. et al. 2005. Acute and chronic gas bubble lesion in cetaceans stranded in the United Kingdom.  Vet. Pathol. 42:291-305.

Alex Costidis
University of Florida
College of Veterinary Medicine

Marine Mammal Pathobiology Lab
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission