[MARMAM] court ruling on mid-frequency sonar

Jasny, Michael mjasny at nrdc.org
Tue Aug 7 08:40:27 PDT 2007

A U.S. District Court judge, in Los Angeles, issued a preliminary
injunction yesterday against the U.S. Navy's use of mid-frequency sonar
during major exercises off southern California.

At yesterday's hearing, the court ruled from the bench (1) that
Plaintiffs had shown a probability that the Navy had violated federal
law (which is the legal standard on preliminary relief); and (2) that
the environment would suffer irreparable harm if the exercises proceed.
In her tentative ruling, the judge characterized the Navy's mitigation
measures as "woefully inadequate and ineffectual."

We are expecting the court to issue a written opinion and order shortly.
Please let me know if you would like a copy when it comes down.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Jasny

Senior Policy Analyst

Natural Resources Defense Council

4479 W. 5th Avenue

Vancouver, BC  V6R1S4

tel. 604-736-9386

fax 310-434-2399

mjasny at nrdc.org

PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law as
attorney-client and work-product confidential or otherwise confidential
communications. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution,
or copying of this communication or other use of a transmission received
in error is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
in error, immediately notify me at the above telephone number.