[MARMAM] New publication

Stefania Gaspari stefaniagaspari at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 04:37:39 PDT 2007

We are pleased to announce the publication of the following article in
Molecular Ecology. For a PDF copy please send requests to:
stefania.gaspari at unifi.it

Gaspari S, Azzellino A, Airoldi S, Hoelzel AR (2007) Molecular
Ecology. Social kin associations and genetic structuring of striped
dolphin populations (Stenella coeruleoalba) in the Mediterranean Sea.
doi: 10.1111/j.1365-294X.2007.03295.x

Abstract

We investigated hierarchical patterns of genetic subdivision, and
assessed kinship within and between social groups of striped dolphins
(Stenella coeruleoalba) in the Tyrrhenian Sea. A total of 165 samples
were analysed at eight microsatellite DNA loci, including outgroup
samples from the Adriatic, Scotland and Spain for population-level
comparisons. We found population genetic structure within the
Mediterranean basin, including small but significant differentiation
between the Adriatic and Tyrrhenian Seas (FST= 0.0047,P= 0.008), and
between putative ‘inshore’ and ‘offshore’ (FST= 0.0217,P= 0.005)
populations in the Tyrrhenian Sea. Assessment of kinship within and
among 12 association groups showed higher average kinship for females
within than between groups, and smaller groups showed higher average
kinship. Comparisons of relatedness for both sexes showed a
significant difference between males and females, with females more
likely to associate with adult kin. Together these data emphasize the
importance of the social cohesion of kin in small groups to the
structuring of striped dolphin populations in this environment.

Sincerely,

Stefania Gaspari

Stefania Gaspari PhD
University of Florence
Department of Animal Biology and Genetics,
L.E.M. Molecular Ecolgy Laboratory
Via Romana 17, 50125 Florence, Italy

Tel   +39 055 2288290
Mob +39 333 7551556