[MARMAM] Available Places in Courses at Shoals Marine Laboratory, Summer, 2007

William E. Bemis web24 at cornell.edu
Sun Apr 8 06:13:21 PDT 2007

Dear Colleagues,

For 40 years, Shoals Marine Laboratory has specialized in
undergraduate education in marine science and sustainability. Over
the last two years we have expanded SML's Curriculum to better serve
students from all over the country. This summer, we will offer more
than two dozen college-credit courses at our facility on Appledore
Island, Maine. We still have some places in all of the courses listed
below. We feature small class sizes and an experiential learning
environment where everyone learns by first-hand observation. The
close-knit community we create each summer on Appledore Island gives
SML the feeling of a residential college, where even a casual
conversation with a faculty member or teaching assistant can turn
into a life-changing moment. Being on an offshore island also means
that every class includes adventure and learning opportunities far
beyond any normal classroom. Please take a minute to review some of
our exciting offerings - and join us on Appledore this summer!

The Diversity of Fishes
A three-week study of evolution and diversity of fishes with lots of
time in the field:
http://www.sml.cornell.edu/college/pc-ccsfishes.htm

Sharks: The Biology, Evolution and Conservation of Sharks and their
Allies
A one-week intensive course on living and fossil sharks, skates, rays
and chimaeras:
http://www.sml.cornell.edu/sml_cc_sharks.html

Marine Vertebrates
One week on fishes, one week on birds and one week on marine mammals:
http://www.sml.cornell.edu/college/pc-ccmv.htm

Functional Morphology of Marine Organisms
How do marine animals breath, eat, fly and swim? Find out in this new
course that emphasizes direct observations in the field and laboratory:
http://www.sml.cornell.edu/college/pc-ccsfuncmorph.htm

Biology of the Lobster
Intensive study of the biology, ecology and fisheries for the Gulf of
Maine's best-known invertebrate:
http://www.sml.cornell.edu/college/pc-cclobster.htm

Molecular Systematics and Natural History
DNA and other molecules provide clues for understanding the history
of life and how communities work:
http://www.sml.cornell.edu/college/pc-ccmolec.htm

Geographic Information Systems (GIS) for Field Scientists
Learn to use ArcGIS software and Garmin hand-held GPS units;
Appledore Island and the surrounding waters and islands of the Isles
of Shoals archipelago serve as an ideal field site:
http://www.sml.cornell.edu/college/pc-gis.htm

Forensic Science for Marine Biologists
Explore the expanding interface between marine science, criminal
justice and civil litigation with pathologists, veterinarians and
forensic scientists from the FBI, EPA, Mystic Aquarium, URI, and the
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology:
http://www.sml.cornell.edu/college/pc-ccfsmb.htm

Underwater Research
A highly regarded and unique course designed to train students to
plan and conduct research underwater:
http://www.sml.cornell.edu/college/pc-ccur.htm

Sustainability in the 21st Century
Study environmental engineering, alternative power systems, and
fisheries conservation:
http://www.sml.cornell.edu/college/pc-ccsustain.htm

A Marine Approach to Introductory Biology
Need to complete introductory biology to fulfill major requirements?
If so, then check out:
http://www.sml.cornell.edu/college/pc-ccintrobio.htm

To view SML's complete list of college credit courses for Summer
2007, please go to:
http://www.sml.cornell.edu/college/pc-cs.htm

Willy Bemis
Kingsbury Director of Shoals Marine Laboratory
Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Corson Hall, Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853
web24 at cornell.edu

The website for Shoals Marine Lab is: http://www.sml.cornell.edu/