[MARMAM] Interviews/questionnaires of "boat" pilots navigating within marine mammal conservation areas

MARMAM Editors marmamed at uvic.ca
Fri Apr 6 12:41:05 PDT 2007

Dear MARMAM members,

I am a PhD student working on the elaboration of a management support
tool software. This tool aims at helping managers of the St. Lawrence
Estuary marine protected area (MPA) and the Saguenay St. Lawrence Marine
Park (SSLMP) in their decisions for marine mammals’ conservation. My
specific project is to model the dense maritime traffic in the study
area. I follow a cognitive approach (versus mechanistic) and
consequently I need to conduct interviews with pilots of whale-watching
vessels and commercial ships. To the extent of our partners’ knowledge
from both Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada and Parks Canada
Agency, no such study has ever been conducted; another experienced
colleague who worked along the Brazilian coasts for the account of NGO
Brazilian Humpback Whale Institute has never heard of anything similar.
An advanced personal search in the scientific literature didn’t reveal
anything more.
If somebody has some information about a similar project (particularly
interviews and/or questionnaires with “pilots population”), please let
me know; among other things, that would be very helpful to justify the
need to imply human beings in my research for University Ethics Committee.

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Clément Chion, M.Eng.
PhD student

LIVIA – École de Technologie Supérieure (ÉTS)
1100 Notre-Dame Ouest
Montréal, Québec
H3C1K3
Canada
Tel: (514) 396-8800 ext.7674
Website: http://www.livia.etsmtl.ca/?LANG=en

Complex Systems Laboratory
Département de géographie – Université de Montréal
C.P. 6128 succursale centre-ville
Montréal, QC
H3C 3J7
Canada