[MARMAM] whale research internship opportunity

Adam Pack pack at hawaii.edu
Tue Sep 12 20:41:44 PDT 2006

INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY: Field research with humpback whales in Maui,
Hawaii. Interns will assist in the 31-year-long continuing research
project by The Dolphin Institute (formerly Kewalo Basin Marine Mammal
Laboratory) on the winter assembly of North Pacific humpback whales
in Hawaii.  Dr. Adam Pack and Dr. Louis Herman are the principal
co-investigators.  Dr. Pack additionally acts as the field director.
Historically, our research has investigated a variety of topics
including migratory destinations, distribution, inter-island
movements, habitat preferences associated with different classes of
whales, residency characteristics, competitive behavior, male
escorting strategies, song and social sounds, body size and social
roles, and individual life histories.   References for TDI
publications on whales can be found on our website at:
dolphin-institute.org/our_research/whale_research/whaleresearchpublications.htm

During the winter/spring 2007 season we will focus on several issues:
photo identification, underwater body size measurements of individual
humpbacks, skin biopsy sampling, developing mitigation measures using
shore-based tracking and shore to ship communication to help avoid
ship/whale collisions, and possibly a third season of Crittercam
deployment together with the National Geographic Society.  The
internship is full time and unpaid.  However, all research staff,
including interns, live together and are provided with room and board
in Maui.  Interns are responsible for their own transportation to
Maui.  On-water research will be aboard our 21- and/or 18-foot
outboard boats. Shore-based research will be from elevated platforms
along the Maui coast using a theodolite and laptop computer.  Interns
will rotate between these two activities, as well as data processing
at the field house.

The internship runs from approximately December 27, 2006 to May 31, 2007.
There are openings for several interns.

Requirements: College graduate preferred; experience in research,
especially field research; excellent letters of recommendation,
ability to live and work closely and harmoniously as part of a team.
Desirable qualifications: marine mammal experience, humpback whale
research experience, boat driving experience, theodolite experience,
experience with computer programs such as Photoshop, FileMaker Pro,
CoolEdit, MATLAB, digital photography experience, GIS experience.

Send cover letter indicating why you are seeking this internship and
why you feel you are qualified, complete resume, college transcripts,
and three letters of recommendation.

Send applications or inquiries by email to Dr. Adam Pack at
pack at hawaii.edu or by regular mail to The Dolphin Institute, P.O. Box
700694, Kapolei, Hawaii 96709.  Positions are open until filled, but
early application is encouraged.  For more information on The Dolphin
Institute's research and education programs see
www.dolphin-institute.org.