[MARMAM] HELICOPTERS AND LARGE RORQUALS

Peter Gill petegill at bigpond.com
Mon Sep 4 19:40:38 PDT 2006

Dear all,

I am looking for information on the effects of helicopters on large baleen
whales; specifically, on blue whales in a feeding area. The only relevant
reference I can find so far is Patenaude et. al. (2002) AIRCRAFT SOUND AND
DISTURBANCE TO BOWHEAD AND BELUGA WHALES DURING SPRING MIGRATION IN THE
ALASKAN BEAUFORT SEA. Marine Mammal Science 18(2): 309-335.

Helicopters are banned from whale watching in Tonga: are there any other
jurisdictions which ban the use of helicopters for whale watching? If so, is
there any supporting data?

Any relevant references or reports of experience with helicopters and large
rorquals would be welcome.

Cheers, Peter

Dr Peter Gill

Blue Whale Study