[MARMAM] baleen plate identification

Philip Miller Rezk maritimo at adinet.com.uy
Wed Oct 25 12:16:35 PDT 2006

Dear marmamers,

While sampling stomach contents of sharks, I found what appears to be part
of a small baleen plate, which does not exceed 15cm in length.

In the same stomach content, there was also a small vertebra, which I
presume (but can not assure) is from the same individual.but maybe it is
from a dolphin.

Both parts were frozen, and I am planning to measure them tomorrow, as well
as to take some pictures that can help in their identification.

I would like to know if anybody of you can point me in the right direction
as how to identify the species.my knowledge on cetaceans is very scarce, so
I would really appreciate if you could suggest me any interesting papers
which might help me to identify these remains found in the stomach
content..the shark was a tiger shark Galeocerdo cuvier.

Thanks in advance!!

Best regards from Uruguay,

Philip