[MARMAM] Recording devices for cetacean vocalizations

Ignacio Garcia-Godos ag_godos at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 12 14:56:18 PDT 2006

Dear all,
  I am looking for some advise on the best way to record  cetaceans vocalizations using a hydrophone deployed from a small boat.  I heard that a Digital Audio Tape (DAT)Sony TDC-8 a is a good option for recording many species. This model is not available new at the moment because it is discontinued by Sony, but I could get a used one. Considering DAT technology is almost obsolete right now, maybe you can recommend me any digital recorders or other devices that you use to record cetacean vocalizations on the field.
  I am specially interested in sounds of blue, sperm, humpback, and killer whales and many dolphin species ocurring off Peru, for this reason I would need a recorder with a wide range of frequencies, from 20Hz to 22000Hz, like the Sony model I mentioned above.

  Thanks in advance,

  Ignacio

Ignacio García-Godos Naveda
Unidad de Depredadores Superiores
Instituto del Mar del Perú (IMARPE)
Esq. Gamarra y Valle s/n, Chucuito, Callao
PERU
  Apdo. 22, Callao, PERU
Telf: +511 4297630 Ext. 258
Fax: +511 4200144

Casa/Home:
  Av. Francisco Mariátegui 129 - Dpto. 403, Jesùs María,
  Lima 11, PERU
  Telf:  +511 4726850
e-mail: agarcia at imarpe.gob.pe
           ag_godos at yahoo.com