[MARMAM] Last Call for Abstracts: Marine Mammal Sessions Organized for Defenders of Wildlife Marine and Terrestrial Carnivore Conference 2006

Jim Curland curland at earthlink.net
Fri May 19 16:49:05 PDT 2006

Abstract Deadline Just Over a One Week Away
Carnivores 2006: Conference Announcement & Call for Papers

Defenders of Wildlife is pleased to announce Carnivores 2006: Habitats,
Challenges, and Possibilities. The conference, the sixth biennial, which
has averaged between 700 and 800 attendees over the last two
conferences, will be held at the Hilton Hotel in St. Petersburg,
Florida, November 12-15, 2006, and will feature three full days of
sessions on terrestrial and marine carnivore issues, plus a poster
session, field trip, silent auction, banquet and ambassador wolf
sessions. Defenders is accepting oral and poster presentation
submissions for Carnivores 2006.

On this year's Conference Science Advisory Committee is a team of 15
scientists, including 4 marine scientists:

    *  From Mote Marine Lab:  Dr. John Reynolds, Dr. Randy Wells, Dr.
      Nélio B. Barros
    *  From the Center for Ocean Health, U.C. Santa Cruz/Long Marine
      Lab:  Dr. Jim Estes

At the present time, there is a plan to have the following sessions
around marine mammals:

    * Special sessions on bottlenose dolphin foraging ecology will
      include presentations on a variety of topics, such as
      predator-prey dynamics, foodweb modelling, and prey determination
      by stomach content, stable isotope, fatty acid and genetic analyses.
    * Human Interactions with Marine Mammals
    * Sea Otters

The session on marine carnivores is certainly not limited to these
session topics above, so please feel free to submit abstracts on the
variety of areas listed below.

Abstract submissions must be received by 1 June 2006. We will consider
any papers covering topics such as biology, behavior, taxonomy, general
ecology, recovery, management, and economic impacts of terrestrial,
avian and marine carnivore species (canids, bears, cats, mesocarnivores,
raptors, pinnipeds, whales, dolphins, sea otters, sharks, etc), and also
papers addressing carnivore habitat issues, with some of the focus in
the southeastern U.S. (including but not limited to habitat
conservation, planning and linkages, invasive species, land use and
development challenges, etc). Please visit our official conference
website, www.carnivoreconference.org or leave a message at 202-789-2844
x315 for complete Carnivores 2006 details.

To get an idea of the nature of talks, please let me know if you'd like
me to email you a pdf of a past conference agenda.

If submitting an abstract, please follow the online instructions, and,
in addition, please cc me (curland at earthlink.net) with your abstract.

thanks,

Jim Curland

Jim Curland, Marine Program Associate
Defenders of Wildlife
P.O. Box 959
Moss Landing, CA. 95039
831-726-9010-phone
831-726-9020-fax
jcurland at defenders.org

Defenders of Wildlife, founded in 1947, is dedicated to the protection of all native wild animals and plants in their natural communities. We focus our programs on what scientists consider two of the most serious environmental threats to the planet: the accelerating rate of extinction of species and the associated loss of biological diversity, and habitat alteration and destruction. Long known for our leadership on endangered species issues, Defenders of Wildlife also advocates new approaches to wildlife conservation that will help keep species from becoming endangered. Our programs encourage protection of entire ecosystems and interconnected habitats while protecting predators that serve as indicator species for ecosystem health.

http://www.defenders.org
http://www.kidsplanet.org

http://www.defenders.org/wildlife/new/seaotters.html
(Above link is Defenders Main Sea Otter Page)
http://www.kidsplanet.org/espanol/espint.html
(Above link is Defenders Sea Otter Unit)
http://www.defenders.org/wildlife/new/marine.html
(Above link is Defenders Marine Page)
http://www.defenders.org/california/marine.html
(Above link is Defenders California Programs-Marine Protection)