[MARMAM] Stomach contents data wanted for sperm whales and Kogia

nhy038 at abdn.ac.uk nhy038 at abdn.ac.uk
Thu May 11 07:50:17 PDT 2006

Dear Marmammers,

I have a student who for their summer masters thesis project will be
looking at the relative prey size consumed by sperm whales and Kogia.  In
the northeast Atlantic, it seems that these species all consume very
similar prey sizes in relation to body size and the student will
investigate whether this holds throughout the range of the three species
or whether this is a local similarity.

We are, therefore, looking for data on stomach contents of sperm whales
and from Kogia species.  We need data where the size of the whale is known
and where the prey within the stomach have been measured.  We are
particularly interested in information from the western North Atlantic,
the North Pacific and both coasts of South America, but would be
interested in hearing from anyone who may have suitable data.

If you have any data on prey sizes of Kogia and sperm whales and you may
consider letting us use them in this master project, please let me know.
I will look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,

Colin MacLeod
University of Aberdeen,
Scotland