[MARMAM] VOLUNTEERS REQUIRED - BOTTLENOSE DOLPHIN RESEARCH VOLUNTEERS REQUIRED
volunteer at cbmwc.org
Tue May 9 07:00:16 PDT 2006
Apologise for cross-posting!
BOTTLENOSE DOLPHIN PHOTO-ID VOLUNTEERS REQUIRED
Volunteer positions have recently become available for the 2006 season. If
you are interested in volunteering at the Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife
Centre in New Quay, West Wales, please contact Sarah Perry on
volunteer at cbmwc.org.
For more information please visit our website <http://www.cbmwc.org/>
Our 2005 Bottlenose dolphin photo-identification catalogue can be found on
our website, (http://www.cbmwc.org/current_res/photo-idcatalogue.htm).
We are recruiting willing volunteers to assist with our ongoing research and
education programmes concerning the marine wildlife of Cardigan Bay,
primarily the bottlenose dolphins (photo-identification), harbour porpoise
and Atlantic grey seals.
Undergraduate and postgraduate student research projects can be supported
with boat time and office space.
Please contact us to discuss feasible projects email: info at cbmwc.org.
We support non-invasive and non-disruptive research.
Some of the skills volunteers will learn include:
* Species identification skills
* How to estimate group size
* How to distinguish between adult, juvenile and calf bottlenose
dolphins & harbour porpoise
* How to assess key environmental factors and how to record this
* How to estimate distance from recording platform
* How to analyse & catalogue photo-identification images of bottlenose
* How photo-identification techniques help to monitor cetaceans
* How to conduct land based watches and record marine mammal sightings
and how to monitor boat activity
* How to record and distinguish different behaviours
As well as learning about the bottlenose dolphins, harbour porpoise and
Atlantic grey seals of Cardigan Bay.
Volunteers will also:
* Assist with boat based photo identification surveys.
* Assist with collection of data on marine mammals & other wildlife in
* Act as a marine mammal "lookout".
* Educate passengers about the wildlife in Cardigan Bay.
* Assist with other ongoing projects at our centre including
opportunistic jellyfish surveys and sunfish surveys amongst others.
* Help crew research vessel, Sulaire.
* Assist with the day-to-day operation of our Cardigan Bay Marine
Wildlife visitor centre, including staffing the front desk, taking boat
bookings and answering enquiries.
* Advise visitors to the centre and the public about the Marine
Wildlife in Cardigan Bay and the work that is being conducted.
* Creation and regular updating of our website pages with sightings
and other information.
* Conduct land based surveys from New Quay in conjunction with
Ceredigion County Council.
* Record sightings information, update sightings boards in our centre
and central database with information gained from our boat and land based
* Assist with analysis & cataloguing of photo identification of the
Commitment for a minimum of 2 weeks is preferred.
Accommodation can be arranged for committed volunteers (approx 45 - 50GBP
Volunteers are responsible for their own food, travel and accommodation
Local volunteers are always welcome to join us.
For further information about the work we do please visit -
Please contact Sarah Perry by email at volunteer at cbmwc.org and include a
copy of your CV detailing your background and relevant experience together
with a covering letter indicating when and how long you are available to
Or alternatively post your application to:
Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre
Patent Slip Building
West Wales (UK)
Tel: +44 (0) 1545 560032/ (0) 7796135490
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM