[MARMAM] Job Announcement-Defenders of Wildlife Marine Program Assistant (P/T-Temporary)

Jim Curland curland at earthlink.net
Tue May 2 10:07:35 PDT 2006

Defenders of Wildlife
Marine Program Assistant (P/T - temporary)
Summer 2006

Defenders of Wildlife, a leading conservation organization with over
480,000 members and supporters, is hiring a paid temporary part-time
assistant to work with the California Marine Program Associate in
coordinating and participating with the activities surrounding the 2006
Sea Otter Awareness Week, September 24-October 1. Our Sea Otter
Awareness Week focuses on the sea otter and its role as a keystone
species and indicator species for the nearshore marine environment in
which it resides.

The assistant will work with the Marine Program Associate to set-up
local and national events surrounding Sea Otter Awareness Week, as well
as a variety of miscellaneous administrative tasks related to organizing
the week.  The assistant will be working with local and national marine
institutions (aquariums, zoos, research facilities, etc.) to assist in
setting up both local and national celebrations/events focusing on
public awareness of sea otters.  Some travel within California will be
necessary (Santa Barbara, San Francisco, and other areas).

In addition, the assistant will work with the Marine Program Associate
to get California coastal mayors to adopt, by proclamation, Sea Otter
Awareness Week as an official week of recognition. Finally, the
assistant will work with the Marine Program Associate to conduct
outreach to the Latino communities throughout California.

We will provide a salary of $10/hour for three months (July-September).
Interested candidates must be able to make a 3-month commitment.

All out of pocket expenses (i.e, phone, travel, etc.) will be covered.

Required Qualifications:

·       The assistant will be expected to work 20-25 hours per week out
of his/her home, with supervision from Defenders of Wildlife's marine
program office in Moss Landing, CA.  The assistant must be based in the
Monterey Bay area or be able to find temporary housing in the Monterey
Bay Area.

·       Strong writing, communication and organizational skills.

·       High level of proficiency with various computer programs,
including word processing and Internet browser software.

·       Successful candidate will provide his/her own workspace,
transportation, phone, computer and printer.  Office supplies will be
provided by Defenders of Wildlife.

·       Ability to work independently.

·       Strong interest in and commitment to wildlife and marine
conservation.

Desired Qualifications:

·       Ability to speak and understand Spanish.

·       Previous experience with event coordination.

How To Apply:

Applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to:

Defenders of Wildlife
Attn: Jim Curland
Sea Otter Awareness Week Marine Program Assistant Search
P.O. Box 959
Moss Landing, CA  95039
FAX: (831) 726-9010
jcurland at defenders.org

Please save resources and email your application.

DEADLINE: May 31, 2006

--
Jim Curland, Marine Program Associate
Defenders of Wildlife

Defenders  of Wildlife is dedicated to the  protection of all native
 wild  animals and plants in their natural  communities. We focus our
programs  on what scientists consider two of  the most serious
environmental  threats to the planet: the accelerating rate of
extinction of  species and the associated loss of  biological diversity,
and habitat  alteration and destruction. Long  known for our leadership
on  endangered species issues, Defenders  of Wildlife also advocates new
approaches to wildlife conservation  that will help keep species from
 becoming endangered. Our  programs  encourage protection of entire
 ecosystems and interconnected  habitats while protecting predators
 that serve as indicator species for ecosystem health.

http://www.defenders.org
http://www.kidsplanet.org

http://www.defenders.org/wildlife/new/seaotters.html
(Defenders' Main Sea Otter Page)
http://www.kidsplanet.org/espanol/espint.html
(Defenders' Sea Otter Teaching Unit)
http://www.defenders.org/wildlife/new/marine.html
(Defenders' Marine Program Page)
http://www.defenders.org/california/marine.html
(Defenders' California Marine Program Page)