[MARMAM] Range size for monk seals?

Loren McClenachan lmcclenachan at ucsd.edu
Sun Jun 25 16:44:46 PDT 2006

Hello,

I am looking for information on the maximum and average range sizes
of Hawaiian and Mediterranean monk seals for a geographic modeling
project.

I found published data on Hawaiian monk seals which says that they
typically stay within few km of their breeding sites but have been
observed foraging up to ~200 km away. Estimates for Mediterranean
monk seals' range seem to be less variable: from ~20 to 60 km but I
have not been able to find information on maximum foraging distance.

Could anyone tell me if there better information available about
range size in either species? What is the maximum distance that
individuals in either species have been observed away from their
breeding sites?

Thanks in advance,
Loren

Loren McClenachan