[MARMAM] 2006 Fall Internship Opportunities

core at coreresearch.org core at coreresearch.org
Thu Jun 15 08:22:00 PDT 2006

Center for Oceanic Research and Education Internship Opportunities

The Center for Oceanic Research and Education (CORE), based in Essex, MA,
is a non-profit organization dedicated to the study and conservation of
cetaceans. Cetaceans are whales, dolphins and porpoises. CORE's mission is
to promote stewardship and conservation of cetaceans and their marine
environment. Our research focuses primarily upon the populations of fin and
humpback whales found in the inshore waters of New England. We are
currently working on several projects including:
•	hierarchy among social/feeding groups of humpback whales.
•	novel feeding behavior (the use of bubbles) in fin whales.
•	shifts in distribution of whale species over time
•	on-going research includes photo-identification studies of humpback
whales, fin whales, sperm whales, Northern right whales, minke whales and
pilot whales.

CORE conducts whale watch education programs, school presentations and
public outreach activities throughout the year as part of our endeavor to
educate people about endangered whales and their fragile marine
environment. We collect much of our data aboard commercial whale watching
vessels that operate out of Gloucester, MA. Interns are aboard each trip as
research assistants, and are primarily responsible for data collection. The
types of data recorded on each trip include physical information ¬ such as
climate and sea conditions, number and species of each cetacean, as well as
behavioral information and identification photographs of focus animals.
Other duties aboard the boats include answering passenger questions,
assisting with fund raising efforts and helping crew on deck. A paid
"education mate" position aboard the whale watching boat in Gloucester is
included - interns will rotate day-to-day through the week as research
assistants and education mates. There are also paid galley positions
available to interns which provide another daily avenue for raising
personal funds.

Founded in 1996, CORE earned our non-profit status in 1999. Though we have
no publications currently in print, we are currently analyzing data on
several on-going research projects with the goal of developing papers on
such varied subjects as novel feeding behavior in fin whales, to
observations of Sowerby’s and Cuvier’s beaked whales in offshore submarine
canyons. Interns can expect to participate in and learn a variety of facets
of research including:

•	Data collection; data entry; archiving and cataloging photographs and
negatives; general office work.
•	Data analysis methods; individual identification of whales through photo
analysis; data submission to educational on-line program, WhaleNet.
•	Public speaking; fund raising; correspondence with other organizations,
researchers and students.
•	Basics of navigation; boat handling; use of marine electronics including
GPS, LORAN, radar and echolocation; handling lines; and knowledge of vessel
safety and emergency protocol.
•	Interns are also assigned an extensive reading list to gain important
background knowledge.

CORE offers year-round internship opportunities to qualified college
students or graduates. We require a two-month minimum stay. These are
strictly unpaid, volunteer positions. However, interns will be paid for
their duties as Education Mates, as well as galley positions, aboard the
commercial whale watching vessels out of Gloucester. We do not provide room
or board, but will assist interns in any way in finding housing and
transportation. We also offer flexible hours, so that interns can obtain
part-time jobs, if needed.

Interns are also encouraged to receive either undergraduate or graduate
credits for their internships with CORE. We will help students design and
implement a project through their school or with two local schools with
whom we are affiliated (Endicott College, Beverly, MA and Wheelock College,
Boston, MA).

Application deadline for the fall internship session is July 24th, with
interviews during the first week of August. The deadline for the 2007
summer internship session is March 24th, with interviews being conducted
during the first week of April. We also accept limited applicants for
spring. To apply for an internship, please complete an application and send
your resume or CV, a letter of interest identifying your reason for
applying, and two letters of recommendation to the below address.

The Center for Oceanic Research and Education internship applications can
be found on our website at: www.coreresearch.org/intern form.htm. You may
then use your browser's print function to print it out, or they may be sent
via email (below) or fax at 978-745-0997. We will contact applicants to
schedule an interview as soon as we receive the above materials. If you
have any questions, please contact us via email at core at coreresearch.org or
978-768-4560.

Lisa Fox, Director
Center for Oceanic Research and Education
245 Western Ave, Box 8, Essex, MA 01929

http://mail2web.com/ .