[MARMAM] Help with cetacean ID requested

Kees Camphuysen kees.camphuysen at wxs.nl
Mon Jan 16 12:48:01 PST 2006

Dear all

In The Netherlands, whales have been brought to extinction
centuries ago. In recent years, we experience some sort of a return
of larger cetaceans and I try very hard to carefully document
whatever happens in the southern North Sea by collecting sightings
and documenting the  material with descriptions, pictures and the
like.

Sometimes you receive material that triggers imagination, but little
else. Anyone out there having a clue what  animal we are looking at

http://home.planet.nl/~camphuys/flukes.html

(not just a name please, but also why this  should be the species
suggested)?

Any help appreciated. For those wishing to know what happens
down here, check out the recent lists of sightings at
http://home.planet.nl/~camphuys/Cetacea.html

Sincerely,

Kees Camphuysen kees.camphuysen at wxs.nl

Kees (C.J.) Camphuysen, Ankerstraat 20, 1794 BJ Oosterend, Texel, The Netherlands
+ 31 222 318744 kees.camphuysen at wxs.nl

Royal Netherlands Institute for Sea Research, P.O. Box 59, 1790 AB Den Burg, Texel,
The Netherlands
+ 31 222 369488 camphuys at nioz.nl