[MARMAM] New Publication - Australian Snubfin and humpback dolphins

Guido Parra Vergara guido.parravergara at jcu.edu.au
Wed Jan 11 18:42:04 PST 2006

Dear colleagues,

the article below is currently available online in the Articles in
Press section of Biological Conservation:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00063207 or
<http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biocon.2005.10.031>doi:10.1016/j.biocon.2005.10.031
. Alternatively, a pdf reprint is available from me.

Parra, G., J., Corkeron Peter, J., Marsh, H., in press. Population
sizes, site fidelity and residence patterns of Australian snubfin and
Indo-Pacific humpback dolphins: Implications for conservation.
Biological Conservation.

Abstract
Very little is known about the ecology of snubfin Orcaella heinsohni
and Indo-Pacific humpback dolphins Sousa chinensis in Australian
waters. We used photo-identification data collected between 1999 and
2002 in Cleveland Bay, northeast Queensland, to estimate abundance,
site fidelity and residence patterns of these species in order to
make recommendations for their effective conservation and management.
Our abundance estimates indicate that less than a hundred individuals
of each species inhabit this coastal area. Even with relatively
unbiased and precise abundance estimates population trends will be
extremely difficult to detect in less than three years unless changes
in population size are very high (>20% p.a.). Though both species are
not permanent residents in Cleveland Bay, they both used the area
regularly from year to year following a model of emigration and
reimmigration. Individuals of both species spend periods of days to a
month or more in coastal waters of Cleveland Bay before leaving, and
periods of over a month outside the study area before entering the
bay again. Because of their small population sizes and movement
patterns, snubfin and humpback dolphins are particularly vulnerable
to local extinction. Our results illustrate that: (1) detection of
population trends should not be a necessary criterion for enacting
conservation measures of both species in this region, and (2) efforts
to maintain viable populations of both species in Cleveland Bay must
include management strategies that integrate anthropogenic activities
in surrounding areas.

Best regards,

Guido

____________________________________

Guido J. Parra, Ph.D
School of Tropical Environment Studies and Geography
James Cook University
Townsville
Queensland 4811

Office TG-239