[MARMAM] Marine Mammal Research Internship

Cara Pekarcik cara at whalecenter.org
Thu Jan 5 08:13:47 PST 2006

Marine Mammal Research Internships
(For a detailed description and more information, please see our website
at www.whalecenter.org/intern.htm)

The Whale Center of New England, located in Gloucester, MA, is a
non-profit research organization involved with the study of the
behavior, ecology, and natural history of the whales and dolphins found
in the waters off of Massachusetts.  The Whale Center is also heavily
involved with habitat conservation and education programs.  We are
currently looking to fill research internships for the summer (May
22-August 25) and fall (August 21 - December 22) semester of 2006 and
for the spring (January 29 - May 26) semester of 2007.  Please note:
All positions are filled in the spring of each year.

*Please note: We are also accepting applications to fill one position
for our spring 2006 session (January 30 - May 29, 2006).  Please contact
Cara Pekarcik (information below) for more information.

The Whale Center of New England internship provides experience needed to
further pursue fields in marine biology and animal behavior.  It is our
goal to provide college students and recent graduates with the
opportunity to collect valuable information important to the marine
mammal field and to see how this information is used in management and
conservation efforts in this area.  Each internship session offers
different experiences in marine mammal science that will depend on the
season.  These duties may include, but are not limited to: extensive
photo-identification and computer work (training provided), field data
collection aboard commercial whale watching vessels and our 27' research
vessel Silver II, attendance at necropsies (whale autopsies), marine
mammal stranding response, harbor seal surveys and attendance at
conferences and meetings.

Internship applicants should have the following:
* A background in biology, zoology, or related field
* Some knowledge of research methods and design
* An ability to work, live and communicate well with others
* Enthusiasm and dedication to work long days (sometimes 12 hours or
more) in the field or lab
* Completed their freshmen year at the time of application

In order to apply for an internship: please send a resume, a cover
letter detailing your reason(s) for applying, one letter of reference,
and an updated transcript.  Once your application has been received, an
interview will be arranged. In-person interviews are preferred,
necessitating travel to Gloucester, MA, during one of two weekends in
March 2006 (11th-12th & 18th-19th). All applications must be submitted
by March 1, 2006.  Applicants should note which semesters they are
applying for (a single application may enter an applicant into the pool
for more than one session, in case they are not selected for their first
choice).  All positions are highly competitive.  Because of an increased
work calendar during the summer session, volunteer positions are also
available.

Application materials and questions regarding the internship should be
directed to the intern coordinator:

Cara Pekarcik
The Whale Center of New England
P.O. Box 159