[MARMAM] CARDIGAN BAY MARINE WILDLIFE VOLUNTEERS

CBMWC info at cbmwc.org
Thu Feb 23 09:41:19 PST 2006

Apologies for the previous mailing with incorrect dates.

CARDIGAN BAY MARINE WILDLIFE VOLUNTEERS

Opportunities for Volunteering in association with the Cardigan Bay Marine
Wildlife Centre, New Quay, West Wales 2006.

For more information please visit our website  <http://www.cbmwc.org/>
www.cbmwc.org.

Our 2005 Bottlenose dolphin photo-identification catalogue can be found on
our website, (http://www.cbmwc.org/current_res/photo-idcatalogue.htm).

We are recruiting willing volunteers to assist with our ongoing research and
education programmes concerning the marine wildlife of Cardigan Bay,
primarily the bottlenose dolphins (photo-identification), harbour porpoise
and Atlantic grey seals.

Volunteers are needed from mid March until mid October 2006.

Undergraduate and postgraduate student research projects can be supported
with boat time and office space.

Please contact us to discuss feasible projects email: info at cbmwc.org.

We support non-invasive and non-disruptive research.

About the Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre (Est.1996):

The Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre, based in New Quay, West Wales is a
non-profit organisation run by a group dedicated to working for and in the
interest of Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre. The group is part of and
affiliated to the Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales.

Our headquarters are located in the heart of New Quay in a heritage building
overlooking the beautiful beach and harbour. This facility is a valuable and
important marine wildlife and conservation asset, which is used for
interpretation, education and research and furthermore acts as a focal point
of interest and reference for visitors to the area.

The Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre is dedicated to promoting public
awareness of the marine species, habitats and conservation of the marine
wildlife in Cardigan Bay through research and education. It is also
dedicated to forming links and working with established marine conservation
and research groups to set up specific projects and new initiatives both
within and outside the local area.

The primary purpose of our ongoing research supported by Environment Wales
and the Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales, is to monitor the marine
mammal populations found within Cardigan Bay's Special Area of Conservation
(SAC) and beyond. We endeavour to raise awareness and understanding of the
importance of the local marine wildlife and habitats, to encourage respect
and conservation of these important entities and to ensure the long term
well-being of these animals and the local marine environment.

Our intention is to establish an enduring and stimulating education
programme for all. We also aim to provide interpretational materials on the
species and habitats in Cardigan Bay and to conduct public awareness
initiatives.

This is a fantastic opportunity for volunteers to make a positive
contribution to marine wildlife research, to gain knowledge and experience
of the species and habitats in Cardigan Bay and of public awareness and
education programmes.

Shorter Term Posts

Research & Education Assistant

Sightings Officer

Longer Term Posts (5-6 Months)

Bottlenose dolphin Photo-id catalogue Officer

Education Officer

We are also looking for volunteers with website building experience for a
new project, volunteers with accountancy experience, fundraising experience
and any other experience that may be of benefit to the CBMWC.

For more information on the work you will be involved in please email:
volunteer at cbmwc.org

Volunteer positions are available from mid March until October 2006,
commitment for a minimum of 2 weeks is required. Priority will be given to
volunteers available for longer periods.

Accommodation can be arranged for committed volunteers (approx 45 - 50GBP
per week).

Volunteers are responsible for their own food, travel and accommodation
costs.

Local volunteers are always welcome to join us.

For further information about the work we do please visit -
<http://www.cbmwc.org/> www.cbmwc.org

To apply:

Please contact us by email at volunteer at cbmwc.org and include a copy of your
CV detailing your background and relevant experience together with a
covering letter indicating when and how long you are available to volunteer.

Or alternatively post your application to:

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre

Patent Slip Building

Glanmor Terrace

New Quay

Ceredigion

SA45 9PS

West Wales (UK)

Tel:  +44 (0) 1545 560032/ (0) 7796135490

www.cbmwc.org <http://www.cbmwc.org/>