[MARMAM] I Course about interaction between bottlenose dolphins & marine fin fish farms

Bruno Diaz bruno_daz2000 at yahoo.es
Sat Feb 18 02:41:43 PST 2006

I COURSE ABOUT INTERACTION BETWEEN BOTTLENOSE DOLPHINS AND MARINE FIN FISH FARMS

  This research course, organized by BDRI (Bottlenose Dolphin Research Institute), offers an opportunity for enthusiastic and motivated individuals to obtain field and laboratory training in methodology and analysis for the study of interactions between bottlenose dolphins with a marine fin fish farm under the mentorship of BDRI's researchers.

  PLACE: GOLFO ARANCI (north-eastern Sardinia- Italy) where the construction of a fin fish farm has been linked to increased bottlenose dolphin abundance and habitat use, and dolphin behavioural changes were recorded as a result of high fish density around the farming area.

  Students gain hands-on experience during the boat surveys studying the bottlenose dolphins and fish farm activities.

  LANGUAGES: English, Spanish or Italian.

  Bottlenose dolphins are appropriate and useful study animals in this case because of their world-wide distribution, the information gained in our courses can be applied to management of fin fish farms world wide. Although dolphins benefit from feeding around the floating fish farm cages, there are also some costs involved. Bottlenose dolphins are captured in nets occasionally. Bottlenose dolphin attacks on farmed fish could present a problem to the industry in terms of financial loss.

  DATES: 6 - 11 March; 24 - 29 April; 08 - 13 May; 06 - 11 November

  PRICE: 400 Euro (Special price for Students 370 Euro). The course fee will cover you for full board (all your accommodation and food costs in the base), seminars fee, and ALL associated field costs during your stay with us. You'll simply need to arrange your own travel itinerary to us in Golfo Aranci (see How to reach the BDRI in our website).

  If you are interested in the course, or for further information, please visit our website or feel free to contact us:
  http://www.geocities.com/B_D_R_I
Email: B_D_R_I at yahoo.com