[MARMAM] Summer Internship

Kelly Melillo melillok at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 23 11:56:22 PST 2006

Thank you for posting.

Dolphin Communication Project (DCP) - Volunteer Research Assistant/Intern - Summer 2007

Bimini, The Bahamas & Connecticut, USA

The Dolphin Communication Project (DCP, www.dolphincommunicationproject.org) is currently seeking two interns for the summer 2007.  These internships have both field and office components, both of which are mandatory.

DCP, directed by Dr. Kathleen Dudzinski and part of Immersion Presents at Mystic Aquarium & Institute for Exploration (MAIFE), looks at how dolphins communicate and attempts to shed more light on the meaning of their interactions. Our questions focus primarily on communication among dolphins. As a team, DCP research scientists study four groups of dolphins in three countries.  Interns are needed at our Bimini, The Bahamas research site, where we study Atlantic spotted and bottlenose dolphins.

Responsibilities

In the field:

¨       Travel to & assist for 3-4 weeks during June, July or August 2007 at our Bimini research site

¨       Assist in gathering data (general observations, photographs, underwater video) during 4-5 hour/day boat excursions

¨       Assist in the analysis of still photos & video to confirm dolphin IDs (photo-identification)

¨       Assist with ship-board educational programs

At the office:

¨       Travel to & assist office staff during months alternating with month in the field (June - August 2007) at our Connecticut office

¨       Process & analyze data, including, but not limited to: photo-identification of individuals from other DCP research sites, conducting detailed focal follows from video data for behavioral analyses

Requirements

Successful interns must have basic computer skills & working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel & PowerPoint.  Current enrollment in a degree-seeking program, background in science and/or animal behavior, and experience on boats and/or with photo-identification are all desired, but not necessarily required.  The successful candidate(s) should be comfortable on a boat for several hours at a time in varying conditions.  They should also be proficient swimmers with a desire to improve free-diving skills.  Interns will work as a part of a team both at the office & in a fairly remote & isolated field setting.  Good writing & public speaking skills are a must, as is attention to detail.

Expenses & Compensation

This is an unpaid internship.  Interns are responsible for their own transportation to Bimini & Connecticut.  There is a $500 fee that will offset expenses in the field, including room & board.  Room & board while in Connecticut is the responsibility of the intern, although assistance in finding and securing lodging is available.

Interested applicants should send a CV and letter of interest to kmelillo at dolphincommunicationproject.org by January 31, 2007.  Transcripts may be requested and interviews (in-person or via telephone) may be arranged.

For more information, please contact Kel Melillo at kmelillo at dolphincommunicationproject.org.

Kel Melillo

Research Associate

kmelillo at dolphincommunicationproject.org