[MARMAM] new paper on Cuvier's beaked whale

John Woodside jwoodside at alum.mit.edu
Fri Dec 8 09:41:08 PST 2006

During the last years, and especially after several mass strandings
linked to high level military sonar use, there has been a growing
attention of the cetological community and significant research effort
as well on Ziphius cavirostris and other ziphiid species. We hope that
the following paper that has been published recently may be of interest
to the members of this list.

Woodside, J.M., David, L., Frantzis, A., and Hooker, S.K., 2006, Gouge
marks on deep-sea mud volcanoes in the eastern Mediterranean: Caused by
Cuvier’s beaked whales? Deep Sea Research I, 53:1762-1771.

Abstract
Enigmatic seafloor gouge marks at depths of 1700-2100 m have been
observed from submersible during geological survey work studying mud
volcanoes in the eastern Mediterranean Sea. The marks consist of a
central groove (about 10 cm deep and 12 m long), superimposed on a
broader bowl-shaped depression (12 m long by about 50 cm wide) with
raised rims (up to 10 cm high) to either side of the central groove. We
discuss the potential biological causes of these marks, and conclude
that they are probably created by Cuvier’s beaked whales (Ziphius
cavirostris) during foraging dives to these depths. The mud volcanoes
have a comparatively rich and diverse benthic ecology associated with
methane-rich fluid seeps and thus could be the base of food chains that
reach top predators like the deep-diving whales. The characteristic high
acoustic backscatter of the mud volcanoes would facilitate their
detection by the echolocation system of these whales.

You can find the full text of the paper at the Deep Sea Research I
(Science Direct) website:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/09670637
(click on November (volume 53 issue 11) and go to article number 4)

or at the following link:
http://www.pelagosinstitute.gr/en/pelagos/index3.html

or please contact one of the authors:
J.M. Woodside (jwoodside at alum.mit.edu)