[MARMAM] Senior Rehabilitation Position

Phocid at aol.com Phocid at aol.com
Thu Dec 7 16:34:47 PST 2006

SENIOR MARINE MAMMAL REHABILITATOR

Island Wildlife Natural Care Centre (IWNCC) is a non-profit society dedicated
to the rescue and rehabilitation of regional wildlife, with an emphasis on
Harbour Seals and avian species. We are seeking a candidate for the position of
Senior Marine Mammal Rehabilitator.

IWNCC is located in the Pacific Northwest, on Salt Spring Island, one of the
largest of the Canadian Gulf Islands. We are a small, but very busy Centre,
primarily outdoors on a forested 4-acre property.   We treat up to 100 Harbour
Seal pups and 500 avian and terrestrial animals each year.   The majority of
our animal intake occurs between May and November.   Seasonal work hours are
long and the work is fast-paced and physically demanding, however with our
cross-discipline of animals, it is varied and fulfilling.

The position reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for
overseeing all aspects of care for our marine mammal patients.   This includes
coordinating rescues; admissions, diagnosis and critical care; hands-on daily animal
husbandry; leadership, training and supervision of Fellows and Interns;
maintaining clean animal habitats; conducting the day-to-day running of the clinic;
procuring and managing inventory of supplies, equipment and medications;
keeping accurate detailed records and liaising with industry professionals.   The
position will also assist with avian and terrestrial animal care.

The successful candidate will have hands-on marine mammal rehabilitation
experience at a senior level.   She/he must be experienced in examinations,
diagnosis and treatment plus have proven supervisory and English language
communications skills, be physically fit and able to work as a part of a busy team.

This position starts May 2007.   Salary and benefits are negotiable and
commensurate with experience.   Preference will be given to Canadian candidates,
however non-Canadian applicants will also be considered.   IWNCC will facilitate
required work permits should the successful applicant be non-Canadian.

Please send your CV, references and an informal cover letter to J. Ballerone,
Administrative Director, Island Wildlife Natural Care Centre, 322 Langs Road,
Salt Spring Island, BC   V8K 1N3   Canada.   Or email us iwncc at aol.com

For more information regarding IWNCC visit our website at www.sealrescue.org