[MARMAM] Projects related on pingers

Andrea Dell'Apa mako1979 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 2 00:51:28 PDT 2006

Dear all,

i'm an italian researcher. I have tryed to find information about pingers,
used as acoustical device to avoid cetaceans by-catch. I'm interested
particularly on outcomes related on tursiops in open water.
I have found some interesting results searching on internet:

Stone, G. S., Cavagnaro, L., Hutt, A., Kraus, S., Baldwin, K., Brown, J.
"Reactions of Hector's dolphins to acoustic gillnet pingers" 2000

Jefferson, T. A., Curry, B. "Acoustic methods of reducing or eliminating
marine mammal-fishery interactions: do they work?" 1995

My problem is that all the works related with tursiops demonstrate that
after a short period, mainly 3 months, dolphins get used to the sound , so
this acoustical device works for a very short period. After that they are
actracted by the sound because it remainds them a possible source of food.
As i would like to continue the sperimentation for a project on dolphins
located in the Pontine islands in Italy, i would like to take a look at as
much results as it possible.
If anyone could help me, please feel free to contact me.

Thank you everyone.

Andrea Dell'Apa