[MARMAM] Call for Marine Mammal Photos

Sclymene at aol.com Sclymene at aol.com
Wed Apr 26 17:11:44 PDT 2006

Dear Colleagues,
   Tom Jefferson, Marc Webber, and Bob Pitman are preparing a comprehensive
marine mammal identification guide, which will include detailed species
accounts, multiple illustrations by artist Brett Jarrett, illustrated keys, and a
large collection of full-color photos.   We are aiming to produce the most
comprehensive and authoritative identification guide to marine mammals.   It will be
published by Academic Press/Elsevier in late 2007.
   We have assembled an impressive collection of photos, covering nearly
every species of marine mammal.   The following species are ones that we still
need help with:
Sei whale (Baleanoptera borealis)
Pygmy and dwarf sperm whales (Kogia spp.)
Arnoux’s beaked whale (Berardius arnuxii)
Mesoplodonts (Mesoplodon spp.)
Short-finned pilot whale (Globicephala macrorhynchus – Japanese forms)
Atlantic humpback dolphin (Sousa teuszii)
Hourglass dolphin (Lagenorhynchus cruciger)
Spinner dolphin (Stenella longirostris – dwarf subspecies)
Short-beaked common dolphin (Delphinus delphis – Black Sea form)
Vaquita (Phocoena sinus)
West African manatee (Trichechus senegalensis)
Caribbean monk seal (Monachus tropicalis)
Ross seal (Ommatophoca rossii)
Baikal seal (Pusa sibirica)
Caspian seal (Pusa caspica)
Japanese sea lion (Zalophus californianus)
Southern fur seals (Arctocephalus spp.)
   However, we would be very interested in seeing any photos of other species
that you might want us to consider as well.
   Unfortunately, we cannot pay photographers for use of photos.   However,
if we use your photos, we may be able to offer you a free copy of the book
(which we expect to cost about US$40-55).   This would be for one-time use, and
there would be no restrictions on further use by the photographer.
   We would need good quality slides or digital images (the highest possible
resolution, which if too big to be emailed, can be sent on a CD).
Please send queries about pinniped photos to Marc Webber <
marcwebber at sbcglobal.net>.   Queries about photos of any other species of marine mammals should
be sent to Thomas Jefferson <sclymene at aol.com >.   We appreciate your help with
this request, and look forward to hearing from you.
Thomas A. Jefferson, Ph.D.
Marine Mammal Biologist
Southwest Fisheries Science Center
NOAA Fisheries