[MARMAM] Volunteers needed for cetacean surveys in the Gulf of Cadiz and the Strait of Gibraltar

Sergi Pérez seke20 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 23 13:21:14 PDT 2006

Dear all,
apologies for cross-posting

CIRCÉ (Conservation, Information and Research on Cetaceans) is a non-profit organization which objectives are
not only to conduct research on cetaceans, but also to actively participate in increasing awareness and education
of the public on the marine environment. For this reason, we have chosen to welcome research volunteers onboard CIRCE's vessel to assist the scientific crew in their studies on the cetaceans in the Strait of Gibraltar and the Gulf of Cadiz.

We are looking for volunteers from the 1st of May to the 1st of July, to help us with our research projects.
The projects aims are to investigate the cetacean population inhabiting the Gulf of Cadiz and the Strait of Gibraltar, these aims include studying the genetic and the diet of different species. These surveys will be visual and acoustic surveys, and the target species are common, striped and bottlenose dolphins, harbour porpoises, sperm whales, fin whales, pilot whales and killer whales. During these surveys, all the crew will be onboard the research vessel Elsa, and will live onboard the vessel. Also, we will do land-based surveys to see the fin whale distribution during the summer months.

The volunteers will participate in the field and laboratory activities of the projects.

Main tasks:

-Conduct boat-based line transect surveys.
-Collect data on cetacean sightings and weather conditions.
- Data entry for cetacean sightings.
-Assist with photo-ID work and analysis
-Assist with the porpoise detector equipment.

No specific qualities are required, just a willing hand and a keen interest so that everyone has an enjoyable and convivial experience.

Preference will be given to those who have driving license.

There is no compensation for this volunteer position and the successful applicants will be responsible
for their food expenses during the time of the volunteering. Volunteers must arrange their own transportation to and from the research base in Pelayo (Algeciras).

The volunteers can stay in CIRCE's Centre.

Detailed information of CIRCE can be found in the following web page:
www.circe-asso.org

To apply:

Please contact us by email at cv at circe-asso.org and seke20 at hotmail.com include a copy of your CV detailing your background and relevant experience together.

Sincerely yours

Sergi

Sergi Pérez
CIRCE Conservación Información y Estudio de Cetáceos
C/Cabeza de Manzaneda 3
Pelayo Algeciras-11390 España.
www.circe-asso.org