[MARMAM] Tooth wear in Stejneger's beaked whale

nhy038 at abdn.ac.uk nhy038 at abdn.ac.uk
Mon Apr 24 05:56:11 PDT 2006

Dear marmammers,

I am looking for a photograh showing the distinctive pattern of tooth wear
found in Stejneger's beaked whale (Mesoplodon stejnegeri).  I remember
seeing a picture in a Japanese paper from the 1960s that showed this
species has a very distinctive wear pattern with an almost semi-circular
notch at the anterior base of the erupted tooth, but I cannot remember the
reference for this. I am interested in seeing an example of this to
confirm that my memory is not playing tricks on me and also to compare to
the pattern of wear found in other beaked whale species, particularly
Sowerby's and Cuvier's beaked whale and the strap-toothed whale.  The aim
of this it to try and work out why beaked whale tusks often show unusual
patterns of tooth wear and how it may be caused.

Thanks for any help you can provide with this.

All the best,

Colin