[MARMAM] Bottlenose dolphin Photo-id Catalogue Officer

CBMWC volunteer at cbmwc.org
Sat Apr 1 07:28:13 PST 2006

Bottlenose dolphin Photo-id Catalogue Officer - Volunteer position with the
Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre

We require a dedicated, responsible volunteer to help manage the Bottlenose
dolphin photo-identification catalogue for 2006. This will involve analysing
and comparing a large number of photo-id images and matching these to our
existing database. This position is available from mid/late April until
October 2006, a commitment for a minimum of 5 Months is preferred for this
position.

. Main responsibility will be to oversee the cataloguing of the bottlenose
dolphin photo-id catalogue and matching individuals to previous year's
images.

(Our 2005 catalogue is available to download off our website by following
the link, (http://www.cbmwc.org/current_res/photo-idcatalogue.htm).
. Be involved in the creation of the 2006 season catalogue.
. Conduct talks on the photo-identification work conducted at the CBMWC to
interested parties.

You will work closely alongside other research volunteers at the CBMWC and
you will also be involved in the following:

Boat Based Work

. Assist with boat based photo identification surveys.
. Assist with collection of data on marine mammals & other wildlife in
Cardigan Bay
. Act as a marine mammal "lookout".
. Educate passengers about the wildlife in Cardigan Bay.
. Assist with other ongoing projects at our centre including opportunistic
jellyfish surveys and sunfish surveys amongst others.
. Help crew research vessel, Sulaire.

Land-based work
. Assist with the day-to-day operation of our Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife
visitor centre, including staffing the front desk, taking boat bookings and
answering enquiries.
. Advise visitors to the centre and the public about the Marine Wildlife in
Cardigan Bay and the work that is being conducted.
. Help develop the facilities at the Marine Wildlife Centre.
. Creation and regular updating of our website pages with sightings and
other information.
. Conduct land based surveys from New Quay in conjunction with Ceredigion
County Council.
. Record sightings information, update sightings boards in our centre and
central database with information gained from our boat and land based
research surveys.
. Develop ideas for refurbishment of the CBMWC, what materials etc. could be
displayed in the centre, including interactive materials, touch tanks,
interpretation boards etc.
. Develop ideas for articles for other publications including CBMWC
newsletter & website.
. Train new volunteers in collection of data and survey work.
. Help develop Fundraising ideas

Desired skills/qualifications:
. Fluency in English (essential).
. Willingness to work in a conscientious, responsible and reliable manner.
. Enthusiastic and hard working.
. An interest in wildlife and conservation.
. An interest and knowledge of British cetaceans would be an advantage.
. A background in biology, particularly marine biology/environmental
science.
. A background in environmental interpretation or education and experience
working with children is desirable.
. Experience working with the public, and public speaking would be useful.
. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
. IT skills.

This position is available from mid/late April until October 2006,
commitment for a minimum of 5 Months is required for this position.
Accommodation can be arranged for committed volunteers (approx 45 - 50GBP
per week).
Volunteers are responsible for their own food, travel and accommodation
costs.

For further information about the work we do please visit - www.cbmwc.org

To apply:
Please contact us by email at volunteer at cbmwc.org and include a copy of your
CV detailing your background and relevant experience together with a
covering letter indicating when and how long you are available to volunteer.

Alternatively post your application to:
Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre
Patent Slip Building
Glanmor Terrace
New Quay
Ceredigion
SA45 9PS
West Wales (UK)
Tel: +44 (0) 1545 560032/ (0) 7796135490
www.cbmwc.org