[MARMAM] Please post to MARMAM: Marine Mammal Aerial Survey Safety

Leslie Cornick lcornick at alaskapacific.edu
Fri Sep 23 14:33:05 PDT 2005

Dear MARMAM Subscribers,

At the 2003 Biennial Conference on the Biology of Marine Mammals in
Greensboro, NC the Scientific Advisory Committee took up the issue of
aerial survey safety, and formed a working group to develop guidelines
for improving aerial survey safety.

We have enlisted the assistance of a low-altitude flight safety expert
to develop a set of recommendations for the working group, but we are
also interested in hearing directly from scientists and technicians in
the field. The committee is interested in hearing your experiences,
questions, concerns, etc. relative to planning and executing marine
mammal aerial surveys. We're particularly interested in hearing about
concerns related to the following:

*	aircraft
*	pilotage
*	training
*	equipment
*	funding (related specifically to survey safety)
*	risk assessment
*	mishap response
*	issues in developing countries

Once fully developed, these guidelines will be posted on the Society's
website to be freely available to the worldwide aerial survey community.

Please help us to develop a set of guidelines that will meet your safety
needs!

Leslie A. Cornick, Ph.D.
Chair, Aerial Survey Safety Working Group

Assistant Professor, Marine Biology & Statistics
Department of Environmental Science
Alaska Pacific University
4101 University Drive
Anchorage, AK 99508