[MARMAM] Volunteer Observers Needed

Jessica Burtenshaw jburtenshaw at ucsd.edu
Tue Oct 25 16:56:49 PDT 2005

Volunteers are needed for an upcoming marine mammal cruise with the Scripps
Institution of Oceanography in the Gulf of California.  The cruise will be
from Nov.26 through Dec.15, 2005 on the R/P FLIP (Floating Instrument
Platform), a unique research spar buoy  (You can see more about FLIP at
<http://www.mpl.ucsd.edu/resources/flip.intro.html>http://www.mpl.ucsd.edu/resources/flip.intro.html).
The goal of this project is to compare visual and acoustic detections of
marine mammals - particularly delphinid species.  We are seeking 2-3 visual
observers for this cruise,

The position requirements include daily rotations between:
-       visual observations using hand-held binoculars from the FLIP crow's
nest (approx. 90 ft above waterline)
-       data entry into a laptop computer
-       visual observations using Big-Eye binoculars for species identification
-     watches will occur on a rotation basis, with periodic breaks.

We are seeking volunteers with marine mammal visual observation experience,
particularly with delphinid species.
Good eyesight, no fear of heights, and the ability to live in tight
quarters are requisite.

Selected participants will receive travel expenses plus room and board.

If interested, please submit a resume to Jessica Burtenshaw
at  <jburtenshaw at ucsd.edu>  as soon as possible.

John Hildebrand
Professor
Scripps Institution of Oceanography