[MARMAM] posting on Marmam

Louis Herman lherman at hawaii.edu
Mon Oct 24 14:33:27 PDT 2005

	Post-doc opportunity Hawaii. The Dolphin Institute (TDI), the
non-profit arm of the Kewalo Basin Marine Mammal Laboratory, is
seeking a motivated post-doc or near Ph.D. to join our research team
in studying the annual migration of humpback whales into Hawaiian
waters, in Maui and west Oahu, and also in studying the population of
spinner dolphins and other odontocetes along the leeward coast of
Oahu.
	Candidates should have field experience with marine mammals,
preferably cetaceans, have a relevant academic background, preferably
have some publications in refereed journals, and preferably have some
experience in grant writing.   Among desired skills are outboard boat
driving and maintenance, digital photography, underwater photography
(SCUBA certification would be desirable, although only snorkeling
will be Post-doc opportunity Hawaii. at least some relevant computer
applications (e.g., Adobe PhotoShop, Microsoft Office, ARCVIEW,
Matlab). GIS skills are desirable.  In addition to fieldwork, the
individual would be responsible for helping to manage our extensive
databases; familiarity with SAS or other statistical analyses
packages is desirable.  The successful candidate would be expected to
provide tutoring or lectures to junior staff and volunteers, as well
as interface with the general public through talks.
	Under the direction of Drs. Adam Pack and Lou Herman, the
selected individual would assume a leadership role in our research
and education programs and in the supervision of junior staff.  In
2006, our whale work will include photo-id, underwater videography to
measure sizes of whales, biopsy sampling in support of the SPLASH
program, shore-based theodolite surveys of whales under a grant from
NFWF, and possibly a continuation of our Crittercam project with
National Geographic.  The spinner dolphin work would commence after
the whale field season (about May or June) and focus on photo ID and
on underwater videography to determine social behavior and social
affiliations. All work is done under Federal and State Scientific
Research Permits.
	We are seeking someone who can join our program by January 2006.
	The position is for one year with continuation dependent on
availability of funds. Salary would depend on qualifications. The
individual would receive full benefits including medical and dental.
	Interested individuals should immediately send their resumes,
a letter outlining their interests, qualifications, and goals, three
letters of reference, a copy of their graduate transcript, and any
relevant publications.  Replies should be addressed to The Dolphin
Institute, 420 Ward Ave, Ste 212, Honolulu HI 96814, or by email to
pack at hawaii.edu and copy to lherman at hawaii.edu.  Prospective
candidates can learn more about TDI through its webpage
www.dolphin-institute.org.