[MARMAM] impact of bridges

Simone Panigada simo.pani at inwind.it
Wed Oct 12 08:00:11 PDT 2005

Dear Marmam list,

the Tethys Research Institute
(<http://www.tethys.org/>www.tethys.org) has been contracted to
monitor cetaceans' presence and distribution in the area of the
Stretto di Messina, between the Island of Sicily and the mainland of Italy.

The project will last 12 months and will provide baseline data on the
species regularly using the area and on those migrating through the
Stretto in light of the possible construction of a suspended bridge
connecting the island and the mainland. For more information on the
bridge, please refer to the following web page:
<http://www.strettodimessina.it/>www.strettodimessina.it.

We are looking for references (published papers, grey literature,
reports, etc.) on the possible impact of manmade infrastructures on
the distribution and movements of cetaceans. In particular we would
like to gather information on the two different project phases:

1) infrastructure construction - these information can also derive
from other operations (e.g. pile driving);

2) the impact of the built bridge on cetacean fauna.

At present we have found very little information, mainly on the
possible impact of dams on river dolphins (see reference below) and
nothing specifically on bridges.

We would be happy to provide a report of the messages received and
post it on Marmam.

Thank you very much for your collaboration,

Sincerely,

Margherita Zanardelli, Simone Panigada

Reeves, R. R., and S. Leatherwood. 1994. Dams and river dolphins: can
they co-exist? Ambio 23:172-175.

Smith, B. D., and R. R. Reeves. 2000. Report of the Workshop on the
Effects of Water Development on River Cetaceans, 26-28 February 1997,
Rajendrapur, Bangladesh. Pp. 15-22 in R. R. Reeves, B. D. Smith and
T. Kasuya, eds. Biology and conservation of freshwater cetaceans in
Asia. Occasional Paper of the IUCN Species Survival Commission.

Tethys Research Institute
Viale G.B. Gadio,2
I-20121 Milan, Italy

http://www.tethys.org