[MARMAM] SMM Conservation Workshop

Cynde McInnis lists at whalelady.com
Mon Oct 3 06:16:58 PDT 2005

2005 SMM Biennial Conference Workshop

Taking conservation to the public: Strategies for getting the message
out there
A workshop for educators affiliated with marine mammal viewing platforms

Saturday, December 10, in conjunction with the
Society for Marine Mammalogy's 16th Biennial Conference
<http://www.marinemammalogy.org/conference2005/>
in San Diego, CA

WORKSHOP SUMMARY

Rationale:  The conference is a great opportunity for naturalists from
around the world to come together to discuss how they connect people to
their experiences on the whale watch and to conservation. This workshop
will be designed with a discussion-based rather than lecture-based
format. We are hoping people will share their tricks of the trade so we
all leave with more possibilities in our bag of tricks!!!

Audience: Naturalists and educators

Purpose:

    * To provide a forum for naturalists to share strategies for
      educating passengers about conservation.
    * To identify themes, messages, and best practices that could be
      used aboard various marine mammal-viewing platforms.
    * To discuss ideas and approaches to educating passengers aboard
      whale or dolphin watching boats or land-based facilities.

Expected Results:

    * Naturalists will gain ideas that can be practically applied to
      their educational environments
    * Participants will gain effective outreach tactics.
    * Beginning naturalists will gain knowledge and heuristics for
      starting their own education programs aboard their marine mammal
      viewing platforms.

    * Big picture message: What is it? Can it be the same with every
      audience? How can it be delivered?

CALL FOR PAPERS AND OUTREACH MATERIALS

The early part of the workshop will be focused on heuristics or tricks
of the trade. We are looking for 5 - 15 minute presentations that show
how you get the conservation message out there. They might be lesson
plans that can be adapted for a marine mammal-viewing platform. It might
be games you play with passengers relating to conservation. It might be
a simple demonstration you do. It might be your conservation talk that
you give as a naturalist. If you have an activity you do on your
platform that you feel successfully connects people to whales or to
conservation, we want to learn what you do! Come and share your successes!!!

We welcome abstracts from those who would like to speak on these or
related topics. Abstracts should include a brief description of your
proposed topic, your experience in the field and A/V equipment needs.
Abstracts should be e-mailed to Cynde McInnis at
acs_ed_chair at whalelady.com <mailto:acs_ed_chair at whalelady.com> on or
before Saturday, October 15, 2005.

As part of the workshop, we are hoping to have representative outreach
materials available for take home that day on a CD. Those interested in
submitting outreach materials for inclusion in our handouts or to be
distributed at the workshop should contact us for more information.

REGISTRATION

We are now accepting registration forms. Cost for the workshop is $25.
Registration includes handouts at the workshop, a CD-Rom with other
workshop materials and representative outreach materials, and a
breakfast and coffee break.

Click here for the registration form
<http://www.blueoceansociety.org/workshop/workshop%20registration.pdf>
Registration deadline: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 (postmark date).