[MARMAM] Final Reminder: Conservation Workshop

ACS Ed Chair acs_ed_chair at whalelady.com
Wed Nov 16 07:32:48 PST 2005

This is a final reminder that registration for the biennial workshop
"Taking Conservation to the Public: Strategies for Getting the Message
out There" is due on December 1. Registration is $25 and the form and
more information can be found at
http://www.blueoceansociety.org/workshop/. Following is a rough agenda
of our workshop for those who are still debating on attending. We would
love to see you!!!

8:00-8:30: Registration & coffee

8:30: Introductions

8:45-9:15: Speakers

9:15-10:45: Discussion and Activities

    * What inspires you and how do you stay inspired?
    * What is an appropriate conservation message?
    * Activities: How do you make a connection between humans and
      whales?  How can you make intangibles tangible? We will have
      sample activities and discuss other ideas.
    * Discussion: Connecting people to the environment - how do you
      communicate threats to whales and dolphins, finding teachable
      moments, where to incorporate conservation into your presentation.

10:45-11:00: Coffee Break

11:00-11:45: Presentations and Discussion: Education do's and don'ts;
the use of volunteers and interns in educational programs.

11:45-12: Wrap-up