[MARMAM] Naturalist Training Program

Deborah Benham deborah.benham at wdcs.org
Wed Nov 16 12:15:41 PST 2005

Dear MARMAM

I am currently involved in scoping out a program to train and certify
cetacean naturalists (vessel or land-based), and to facilitate
communication and sharing of ideas between naturalists working in
different parts of the world. This program is being developed by WDCS, the
Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society.  We are interested in learning
from and building upon existing programs in other locations. Therefore,
the first aim of this project is to find out what other training or
certification programs currently exist for marine and terrestrial based
naturalists.

I have done some research and am receiving information from a variety of
organisations, however I know there is probably a lot more out there which
I have not yet managed to find. If any of you have information about
naturalist training or certification programs, courses, schools or
organisations that you are willing to share, it would be gratefully
received. I am also happy to compile a list and post it on MARMAM if
anyone would be interested in this information.

In addition to this, in an attempt to develop the best program possible, I
would very much like to hear from naturalists who are interested in
sharing their experiences or making suggestions for this program. I will
also be attending the SMM Biennial conference in San Diego if anyone is
interested in talking to me in person regarding this matter.

I can be contacted by email at deborah.benham at wdcs.org

Many thanks in advance

Deborah Benham
Project Officer
Dolphin Space Programme

DSP
PO Box 5890
Forres
IV36 1WY
Tel: 07921 106144

The Dolphin Space Programme is overseen by a steering group comprising
VisitScotland, the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society, the Wildlife
Tour Boat Operators' Society, the Northern Constabulary, Grampian
Constabulary, the Highland Council, Inverness Harbour Trust, the Maritime
Coastguard Agency, the Tourism and Environment Forum, WildScotland and
Scottish Natural Heritage.