[MARMAM] Meeting on Codes of Conduct

Deborah Benham deborah.benham at wdcs.org
Mon Nov 7 10:26:14 PST 2005

Dear All

I am in the progress of organising an informal meeting/working lunch on
codes of conduct for cetacean watching boats, to be held at the Biennial
in San Diego next month.

The general idea is to facilitate a discussion between operators,
researchers and people developing and monitoring codes of conduct. The aim
of this is to share ideas on best practice, what works, what doesn't, how
to tell if a code is appropriate-based on the responses of the animals,
problems which have arisen and how they have been solved etc. This would
also be a way to meet others working in similar fields and just share
experiences and expertise. Several researchers have confirmed their
attendance already. Therefore I would particularly like to encourage
attendance by operators and individuals or organisations who are using
codes, or setting up new codes.

We have a provisional room booking for Monday 12th December, during the
foraging break (12.30-14.00). There is also an option to stay in the room
into the afternoon session for anyone wishing to continue the discussion.
Space is limited, so please let me know as soon as possible if you are
interested in attending. Replies should be made to deborah.benham at wdcs.org.

Many thanks

Deborah Benham
Project Officer
Dolphin Space Programme

DSP
PO Box 5890
Forres
IV36 1WY
Tel: 07921 106144
Email: deborah.benham at wdcs.org

The Dolphin Space Programme is overseen by a steering group comprising
VisitScotland, the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society, the Wildlife
Tour Boat Operators' Society, the Northern Constabulary, Grampian
Constabulary, the Highland Council, Inverness Harbour Trust, the Maritime
Coastguard Agency, the Tourism and Environment Forum, WildScotland and
Scottish Natural Heritage.