[MARMAM] dugong listed in Okinawa's RDB.

Simon Varnam simonvarnam at thn.ne.jp
Sun Nov 6 21:41:18 PST 2005

Dear Marmam,
	In case you've not been following the Henoko blog, I'm writing to make
sure you know that the dugong in Japan has at last (Nov 1st) been
listed as an endangered species, Class 1 A, i.e. in danger of
extinction in the near future.
	However this revision is only in the newly-revised Red Data Book of
the dugong's home ground, Okinawa. In the Japanese Environment
Ministry's national Red Data Book it remains unlisted.
	How this will affect plans to build an airbase for the US Marines in
the dugong's last Japanese habitat at Henoko, Okinawa, is hard to say.

	I will be able to send further information from Okinawa's  Red Data
Book as soon I've translated it. If you have any requests for
particular information or other species than dugong, please ask.

Could you please pass this information on to all who may be interested?

Thanks very much.

Simon

simon_dugong at mac.com