[MARMAM] 3rd Biennial Marine Mammal Garage Sale

Volker Deecke deecke at zoology.ubc.ca
Thu Nov 3 10:52:48 PST 2005

Well, friends…

…it’s hard to believe that two more years have passed. Florida’s
manatees have spent two more winters snuggled up in the warm water
plumes of nuclear power plants. California’s male sea otters have wasted
two more breeding seasons trying to copulate with anything that moves.
Rogue packs of killer whales have brought everything in the North
Pacific two years closer to extinction. And what do we have to show for
it? Two more years’ worth of clutter on our computer monitors and our
mantelpieces. Two more years’ worth of thoughtful gifts from your
neighbours’ trip to Cabo and your mum’s troubling addiction to eBay. Two
more years for the charming objets d’art that you bought in Greensboro
to begin to seem, well, not so much fun and charming, as sad, really,
and two years older.

Sound familiar? Do you have the very pieces of cetacean clutter
described? Looking for a sucker to foist them upon and run? Search no
further, and allow us to introduce:

    Third International Marine Mammal Extravaganza:
    The Orderly Garage (sale) Opportunity (TIMME: TO GO)
    http://www.marinemammalogy.org/conference2005/GarageSale.htm

to be held at the 16th Biennial Conference on the Biology of Marine
Mammals this December. Bring your marine mammal merchandise to our table
at the conference. And, of course, when you drop off your blue whale
lava lamp, who could blame you if something else catches your eye? Get
in touch with your inner bower bird, and snatch up a tropical delphinid
snowglobe with which to decorate your desk. Come find the very holiday
gifts you are praying to eschew and give them to other, less suspecting
and more vulnerable “friends” and colleagues.

    Volker Deecke Marine Mammal Research Unit, UBC
    Ari Shapiro, WHOI,
    Rob Williams, SMRU, University of St. Andrews

P.S.: After all, we didn't go into marine mammal science for the money
or the glory. Clearly, it’s for the accessories

Volker Deecke, Ph.D.

Marine Mammal Research Unit   Cetacean Research Lab
University of BC              Vancouver Aquarium Marine Science Centre
AERL Bldg., 2202 Main Mall    P.O. Box 3232
Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z4        Vancouver, BC V6B 3X8
Canada                        Canada

Phone:  +1.604.822.9150       +1.604.659.3429/3430
Fax:    +1.604.822.8180       +1.604.659.3599

WWW: http://www.marinemammal.org/MMRU