[Marmam] Leopard Seal behaviour

Marine Themes info at marinethemes.com
Sun Aug 28 21:18:34 PDT 2005

Hi all,

I would like to ask a question of anyone with a working knowledge of
Leopard Seals (Hydrurga leptonyx).

I recently photographed a mature adult on the south east coast of New
South Wales in Australia. On more than one occasion it seemed to be
eating sand. Is this a "normal" behaviour for this species? I assumed
that it was doing this as an aid to digestion or as a dog would eat
grass, though I guess that in the Antarctic there is not a lot of sand
about. It seemed to be otherwise fit and healthy. Any suggestions would
be appreciated. I can forward photos if necessary. I am about to post
the images on our web site and would like to include an accurate caption
regarding the behaviour. Reply to info at marinethemes.com

With thanks,
Kelvin Aitken.